Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Great Memorial Day weekend

On Saturday afternoon, Joy and I went on a jet boat trip on the Rogue River with our friend Les and Keri. It was a fun trip--though we got very wet with the chilly water. We ate dinner on a deck overlooking the river at the Galice Resort Restaurant. We saw lots of herons, osprey, ducks and geese, along with a couple of beaver and a bald eagle.

Sunday, we drove along the Rogue River heading towards to Crater Lake. We stopped to see a fish hatchery, the natural bridge, and the Rogue River Gorge. At Crater Lake, there was still lots of snow around the lodge. We could only drive to Discovery Point on the Rim Drive (the rest of the Rim Drive won't open for a couple of weeks). The deep blue water against the white snow was beautiful. From Crater Lake, we drove up to Bend and spent the night there.

Yesterday, we drove up Pilot Butte State Park and enjoyed the panoramic view of the Oregon Cascades, with the white peaks of Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, the Three Sisters, etc. vivid against the blue sky. We then went to Smith Rock State Park and had a picnic lunch overlooking the Crooked River with the canyon walls beyond. We stopped to see the Crooked River High Bridge and then drove back through Government Camp, arriving home at about 7 pm.

We took lots of pictures. I'll get them uploaded to Picasa web as soon as I get them organized and cleaned up.

I finally got my G1 phone updated with Android 1.5 (Cupcake) this morning. I was too impatient to wait for the OTA update, so I did it manually. It is nice to have the screen rotate from landscape to portrait automatically, along with the onscreen keyboard. I doubt that I'll use the video recorder very often.

No comments: