Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Karmic Koala released tomorrow

Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, will be officially released tomorrow. I've been running the beta and RC versions of the OS for a couple of weeks. Earlier on, it had some video issues on the old Compaq computer that I'm using as my Linux box, but it has stabilized a lot over the last couple of days. Someday, I need to get a brand new system on which to install and enjoy Linux.

I've also been cleaning up a very old PIII system running Windows 2000 to use as a temporary backup if one of our primary systems dies. It had a bunch of stuff on it, like IIS, that only consumed memory and slowed down the box, so I uninstalled and/or changed services to manual launch.

My restructuring of the PHP code for my web site continues. I'm unpleasantly surprised by some of my old code--it makes me think, what was I doing!!! Fortunately, none of it is bad enough to deserve nomination to The Daily WTF, but the new structure, with DAO, etc., makes for much cleaner code and better division between the UI, the business logic, and the database, while making it easier to change to a different DBMS, etc.

No comments: